September Athlete of the Month, John W
1. Where are you from and where do you go to college/what year?
I grew up in upstate New York, in a town called Rotterdam (near Schenectady). I was an undergraduate student at SUNY Stony Brook and a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. That was all in the previous millennium.
2. What is your favorite exercise/movement in CrossFit? Least favourite?
I like rowing and SkiErg, and also lifting, even though my technique needs a lot of work. My least favorite exercises are the ones I can’t do (yet), like ring muscle-ups. It’s a race against time for me to do a ring muscle-up before I die.
3. What is your biggest strength you are bringing to CrossFit Division?
Steadfast commitment, I suppose.
4. What 3 words would your closest friends use to describe you?
Honest, hard-working, dependable; and probably some less flattering words as well.
5. What’s your favorite cheat food?
Tortilla chips, sea salt chocolate, and beer.
6. What are your hobbies outside of CrossFit?
My favorite hobby right now is electronic music production, despite the fact that I’m not very good at it.
7. What motivates you to workout everyday?
I really don’t think about it, to be honest. I already made a decision to improve my level of fitness by joining CrossFit Division, so now I do CrossFit without questioning whether or not I should.
8. If you could program a WOD what would it be?
The programming is probably better left to the experts, but maybe I’d go with something like this:
Row 2,500 meters
100 air squats
Row 2,500 meters
9. What is your biggest goal at CrossFit?
I’m not really setting goals, other than to keep going and improving (and managing to do a ring muscle-up before I die).
10. Name one thing most people would be surprised to know about you.
I’m a nerd: I like math, computer games, and reading technical books on various subjects. Actually that probably won’t surprise anyone.
11. What is your favourite overseas destination?
I hate travelling in general, but I do like Barbados.
12. What advice would you give someone who is hesitant to join CrossFit?
Stop hesitating and make a decision, one way or the other, and then stick to it.
Clean and Jerk Complex: Every :90 seconds for 12:00 Minutes (8 Sets) perform the following 1 Power Clean + 1 Push Jerk (75% of 1 RM )
Starting Monday September 10, 2018- Barbell Club with Bhillie at 6:30pm